Senior Backend Engineer (Python)
We have built the fastest open source time series database from the ground up to offer breakthrough performance for real-time analytics. We are the fastest growing database within the fastest-developing database category.
Developers rely on QuestDB as the analytic backbone of real-time systems ranging from FinTech to machine learning, IoT, and application monitoring. Fortune 500 companies such as Airbus and Yahoo deploy QuestDB for large-scale, data-intensive production systems, some of which serve close to a billion users.
Our HackerNews launch was the third biggest for an open source company at Y Combinator, and our open source repository has gathered 7k stars to date. We are a product-first company with a community encompassing more than 10k developers. We are a remote-first company backed by leading venture capital firms and Y Combinator.
As an Senior Backend Engineer, you will be a critical part of our growing company, contributing towards the launch of a greenfield cloud-hosted database as a service (DBaaS) solution. You will bring your expertise to build a Python-based backend for the QuestDB DBaaS offering in close collaboration with the cloud engineering team.
- Implementing and maintaining the DBaaS backend
- Building a REST API to allow for easy programmatic interaction with the backend
- Design procedures for troubleshooting and maintenance of the system
- Ensure the backend has strong unit and functional testing coverage
- Advocate for improvements to software quality, security, and performance
- Brainstorm feature design, system architecture, and product roadmap
- 5+ years of experience building applications in Python
- Experience with SQL, RDBMS and database design
- Familiarity with microservices architectures and cloud technologies
- Familiarity with Linux/UNIX systems
- Experience building scalable public REST APIs
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Strong team player who is open to guiding colleagues on your areas of expertise
- The ability to understand, shape and deliver against customers' requirements
Candidates who have experience with the desired software stack would stand out:
- Python / FastAPI
- Docker / Kubernetes / AWS
- QuestDB - PostgreSQL, InfluxDB Line Protocol, REST API
- Front end experience with React / Nextjs is a bonus
What we offer
- Generous equity options package
- Flexible working hours
- 100% remote
- Freedom of choice for your technical equipment
- Wonderful, highly qualified colleagues
- Truly international: more than 10 different nationalities
- A transparent, collaborative & inclusive culture
- Exciting opportunities for career progression as we grow
- Little to zero controls combined with autonomous work where you set your own pace in a collaborative environment
Working at QuestDB
We hire talented and passionate people who share our mission to empower developers to solve their problems with data. We are building breakthrough technology to power the infrastructure of tomorrow.
- We are a company with thousands of users; our mission is to empower them
- We invest in a culture that promotes ownership, autonomy and independent thinking
- We have transparent leadership and value employees' strategic inputs
- Our team is ambitious and tackles the most difficult problems at the deepest data infrastructure layer
Get in touch!
Apply for the Senior Backend Engineer position by visiting the link below and submitting your personal details. Attach links to your portfolio where relevant (LinkedIn, GitHub, personal website, etc.)