Hacktoberfest 2022 is starting soon! We're super excited about joining Hacktoberfest again and meeting new or returning open-source contributors! 🤝
For those who aren't familiar with Hacktoberfest, it's a month-long online celebration for open-source softwares and communities. The first 40,000 participants who successfully completed the requirements will be rewarded with a special-edition Hacktoberfest T-shirt 👕 or a tree planted in your name. 🌴
Participating in Hacktoberfest is one of our approaches to raise awareness and encourage more developers or technical writers to contribute to open source. We welcome both code and non-code contributions, such as docs improvement, tutorials, and blog posts.
QuestDB is a high-performance open-source database for time series. The project is built from scratch in Java and C++ with no dependencies and zero garbage collection. It is optimized for high-throughput ingestion over InfluxDB line protocol and fast SQL queries. QuestDB is also one of the most popular time series databases according to the independent reviewer DBEngines.
This year, there are three QuestDB open source projects opted in for Hacktoberfest:
- QuestDB: QuestDB core database, mainly written in Java and C++. Check CONTRIBUTING.md to get started.
- Documentation: QuestDB's website for documentation, suitable for technical writers who have experience with Markdown and Docusaurus. Read our guidelines for docs contributors.
- Web console: Monorepo that contains the code of QuestDB GUI. It is a web application written with Typescript and React.
To keep a friendly environment for both maintainers and contributors, we put together extra recommendations to increase the chance that your pull requests get merged:
- Pay attention to
CONTRIBUTING.mdor any contribution guidelines available.
- Start with existing issues rather than creating new ones. While new ideas are generally welcomed, they don't always fit the project roadmap.
- Filter issues with
good first issuesor
help wantedtags if you're new to the projects.
- Avoid commenting on all the available issues but those you really plan to work on, to leave some opportunities to other contributors.
- Our maintainers will review your pull requests, please make sure you address all the comments before asking for another review.
In addition to the official reward, if you successfully contribute one valid pull-request to any of the QuestDB projects listed above, we offer an extra QuestDB T-shirt for you through our swag program. 🚀
Here are the places to get help from our team:
Also, don't forget to follow us on social media to receive the latest updates:
Last but not least, star our GitHub repo if you haven't!