QuestDB introduces a specific data type called
symbol. It is a data structure
used to store repetitive strings as a table of integers and corresponding string
- reduced complexity of database schemas by removing the need for explicit extra tables and joins.
- transparent to the user: exact same behaviour as if the table was storing string values, without the burden of actually doing so.
- greatly improved query performance (comparing and writing
- greatly improved storage efficiency (storing
symbol comparison across tables is not directly supported.
- Symbol tables are stored separately from column data.
- Q conversion from
intand vice-versa when reading or writing data.
- For greater speed,
symbolcan be stored in the heap.